Thursday, May 26, 2016

Parachute Installation

The parachute was made out of plaster on top of a balloon that acted as a form. After the plaster had dried, I cut it to have the shape of a parachute and painted it to my liking.
The process worked well and everyone seemed to do it the same way. The placement of the installation also worked really well even if it wasn't my first idea.
The overall installation of the project came out well.

Scraffito Tray

Scraffito is the art of drawing in the negative perspective or carving light out of the dark. We had to shape the tray, then use under-glaze and then putting a design into the piece. I believe I got the texture and design of wings well and my Chinese letter meaning eagle came out well. If I were to change this project, I would have switched the wings placement because they are backwards. This project taught me the scraffito process and how under-glaze works.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Wire Tree

This is my final project for this class and I am satisfied with my work. Although its looks more like a scary oak than a Bonsai tree, I am happy with the way it came out. It successfully resembles a tree and it looks very realistic.
The process was easy but painstaking. It began with separating each wire strand and then twisting them altogether. It is mainly grouping then separating wires to create the shape.

Monday, May 2, 2016

3 Bowls for Empty Bowl Project

My first bowl was the bowl in the middle. This one was made with pieces of fabric. I first cut the pieces, and then glued them to the form to create the bowl shape. This was a decent bowl, but definitely was not my best.
The bowl on the right was my second bowl. This is a pinch pot which means I started from a piece of clay, wedged the clay, and then used my thumbs on the inside to press the clay into a bowl shape.
The red bowl is the third bowl and this one was done on the wheel. It was my first success on the wheel and it was done on the kick wheel. The hardest part was centering the piece but after that I used my creative side to create the shape I wanted. This was my most successful bowl and the first one on the wheel. I thought the wheel was hard to begin wheel but I eventually got the hang of it and would try it again.

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Unconventional Material Challenge

For this project, we had to work with a random given material. I don't know exactly what my material is but it seems to be tight copper coils.
I overcame this unconventional material in an unconventional way by doing my first abstract piece in sculpture. To fight against the tension in all the coils, I wrapped them together, twisted the ends, and used super glue. This all tamed the tough material.
The piece keeps the viewer's eye moving all around it and has contrast between the round coils and the tough straight, grounded screws that provide the foundation. The only thing I would change would be to make the glue less apparent.